Accidental overdose killed Tom Petty, family says



Much more is now known about the death of rock star Tom Petty thanks to a Facebook post from Petty’s widow, Dana York, and his daughter Adria.

York and Adria Petty informed the public that Tom, who died at age 66 on October 2 after going into full cardiac arrest, was the victim of an accidental overdose from medication he was taking due to multiple ailments.

“Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications,” the Facebook post reads. “Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip. Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.”

Sponsored link (story continues below)

It’s believed Tom Petty’s hip in particular caused pain bad enough to push him to use too much medication.

“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication,” the post says.

The post mentioned Fentanyl as one of the medications Petty was taking (others that were reported to be in Petty’s system include acetylfentanyl, despropionyl fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, and citalopram). The family hopes the incident and the medications Petty was using will create positive dialogue about the U.S. opiod crisis.

“We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident,” the post says. “As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.”

The post then goes on to thank fans and request privacy for the family. Read it in its entirety below:

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *